Wednesday, June 27, 2018


I’ve been retired for a little over a month now. Yesterday I attended the retirement party for a former co-worker. I was a little apprehensive about going, I didn’t leave the company under the best circumstances (in my opinion but more on that later) so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Two assistants I worked with basically stabbed me in the back and my boss took their side. I no longer trusted the SOB or had any respect for him, so I told him I would be taking early retirement. I had witnessed over the past year and half, a few “older” employees that were advised to either retire or be fired. Of course, it was subtle but non-the-less gave me much to suspect I was part of the target for age discrimination. I seriously took legal counsel into consideration but in the long run, I am not interested in monetary restitution – just the truth to be acknowledged. For the stress and legal expenses, I figured just walking away was worth more for my peace of mind than any legal counsel. Had I been younger, then hell yes I would have taken the company to court. But then . . . I wouldn’t be looking at the age discrimination issue!

As luck would have it, both assistants and my former boss were not in attendance. Ironic since one of the issues my boss allegedly had with me is that I did not attend one of the assistant’s retirement celebrations, thus not displaying “team behavior”. As I tried to explain to my former boss, I had committed to dog/house sitting for my sister that weekend while she was out of the country. I had made the commitment a few weeks prior to the retirement celebration’s date announcement. Please note, I had also requested PTO for that day and had it approved by previous boss! Ironically for my retirement shindig, very low-key drinks after work with my co-workers and officers, NONE of the officers that reported to my boss including my boss showed up. Even more revealing, my former boss and any of the officers reporting to him, did not attend yesterday’s retirement party either. I did note that the president and CEO of our company and two other officers did show up – more than the upper management attendance at my retirement soiree. Begs the question WTF?????

Enough of that toxic crap. Don’t have to deal with it anymore. I have time to spend with my family and friends which I am so grateful for. LOVE it! I love staying home. And of course, retiring at the beginning of summer is the BEST. I feel like a kid again. Time for me to reflect on my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment